TEAM STING VOLLEYBALL CLUB
College Prep Informational Packet
Team Sting Volleyball Club – 9 Years of Excellence
“The Proven Leader”
65 Alumni to Play Collegiate Volleyball
40 Universities and Colleges attended by STING Alumni
1 AAU National Championship
8 AAU Division Championships
6 AAU All Americans
1 AAU Player of the Year
4 AAU Academic All Americans
8 JVA All America Watch List
2 JVA All Americans
1 JVA Academic All American
8 AVCA Phenom Awards
INFORMATIONAL MEETING SCHEDULE
· SCHOLASTIC PREP, 8/9th OCTOBER 6, 2013 6-7:30PM
· YOUTH DEVELOPMENT12/13 OCTOBER 13, 2013 6-7:30PM
· COLLEGE PREP, 10-12 OCTOBER 20, 2013 6-7:30PM
TEAM STING TRYOUTS
FULL PHYSICAL TESTING PERFORMED at EACH TRYOUT!!
(Height, Reach, Approach Jump, Block Jump, Broad Jump, Pro Agility Drill, 20 Yard Dash)
Tryouts will be held at the MAC, 1911 10th Avenue South. 35205
Youth Academy (12’s & 13’s) and Scholastic Prep (14’s)
· 12’s and under October 19th from 9:00-11:00am (Evaluations, all players make a team)
· 13’s (7th grade usually) October 19th 1:00-3:00pm AND October 20th 2:00-4:30pm
· 14’s (8th grade usually) October 19th 4:00-6:30pm AND October 20th 2:00-4:30pm
· MAKE UP TRYOUTS ON OCTOBER 27, 2013 FROM 2-4 PM AT THE MAC
Please arrive 30 minutes early the first day.
Scholastic Prep (15’s) & College Prep (16’s, 17’s 18’s)
· 15’s (usually 9th grade) Saturday, November 2nd, 2013 - 9:00am - 12:00noon AND Sunday, November 3rd 1:30-3:30pm.
· 16’s (usually 10th grade)Saturday, November 2nd, 2013-9:00am - 12:00 noon AND Sunday, November 3rd 1:30-3:30.
· 17’s (usually 11th grade) Saturday, November 2nd 2:00-5:00pm AND Sunday, November 3rd 4:30-6:30pm
· 18’s (seniors) Saturday, November 2nd 2:00-5:00pm AND Sunday, November 3rd 4:30-6:30pm
· MAKE UP TRYOUTS ON NOVEMBER 9, 2013 FROM 10-NOON AT THE MAC
ELITE CALL BACK FOR 15-18 Thursday, November 7th 6:00-9:00 pm
You must register on SRVA.org and have a copy of your registration when checking in as well as your SRVA Medical Release form filled out and signed. Ages are determined by Sept 1 of the birthdate year.
Team Sting Welcomes You:
Hello, my name is Julie Myers-Dailey. I have grown up in Birmingham and very proud to still call Birmingham my home. I played at Bush Middle School, Ramsay High School and UAB. I have been coaching Junior Olympic Volleyball in Birmingham for 27 years now. My college coach Brenda Williams from UAB encouraged us to coach while we were college players and it became one of the best experiences of my life and has become a lifelong passion.
I began Team Sting 9 years ago and begin the process of making Birmingham a regional and national volleyball destination. We have amazing athletes here in our area and my desire as well as our coaches is to provide the most intense, fundamental and technical coaching that we can while helping develop these young ladies to become the best volleyball players they can be.
It is an exciting time to be a part of Team Sting Volleyball Club. We are in 3rd season of training at THE MAC (the Metro Athletic Center) and having our own facility where players can train year round has placed our athletes in the national spotlight. We have a steady flow of around 5-10 college coaches a week come through our gym during season and have our freshmen, sophomores and juniors already in the recruiting process with many close to committing. Although a college scholarship is the ultimate goal for many of our players, we are committed to building the best high school and middle school players in the area. Many of our players are All Metro and Metro All Tournament Middle School Players, All County Middle School Players and All State, All Area, All Region and All Metro High School Players.
In addition to court training, we have our beach training program called, “Sting Sand Elite”. We began the program with our Elite players 15 and older who were already in a consistent training situation as they were preparing for AAU Nationals. Our teams immediately became nationally known as players with a keen court sense and great skills. In our 1st Season, our teams won 4 tournaments, came 2nd in two tournaments as well as our 181 and 161 team both winning Bids to the USA Volleyball National Sand Championships. Our 181 team won the Bronze Division losing by two points to the eventual champions and our 16 team placed 19th in the nation. We also added the state’s first collegiate sand scholarship. In our 2nd year, we added a full time Sand Director – Michael Haars. Michael is a former Professional European player and pro beach player. We also enhanced our program by the addition of the states only indoor sand court. 2013 saw 24 teams, 3 sand tournament championships and 6 2nd place finishes, three teams that qualified for AAU Sand Nationals in Hermosa Beach , a USA HP Camp player and a USA HP National Team player
This year, “Sting Sand Elite” will again be Directed by Michael Haars, assisted by Julie Dailey, Yllen Rosales, Mellissa Gilbert, Meg Davis. All who have completed USA Volleyball Beach Impact and Cap Level 1 Certification. We will be having evaluations in April and would like to begin the season with 20 teams of players ages 12-18.
We will again, host the 2nd Annual AAU Birmingham Super Regional, our own 9th Annual USAV Spring Sting Tournament, a youth ‘Freeze Fest” tournament for 12’s and 13’s and the newly formed JVA Southern Power League. Last year, Team Sting partnered with Memphis metro with the backing of the JVA to begin a Power League in the South. Last year, we had 3 clubs initiate the program. This year we are ecstatic with the addition of 7 new clubs and a full power league season.
Executive Director/Team Sting Volleyball Club
Team Sting Volleyball Club
“The Team Sting Difference”
1) ALL COACHES ARE HIGHLY QUALIFIED AND EXPERIENCED
Director with 27 years of coaching volleyball and 32 years of experience
All Team Sting Coaches have either been highly successful collegevolleyball players, college coaches and will complete Team Sting Coach Certification.
All coaches in our program are Impact Certified, Sports Performance Coaches’ Program Certified and will have completed 40 hours of Team Sting Coach Development.
Master Coach Systems of Training – All practices are devised by our Master Coaches to assure that our players are learning the same system of training from 12’s - 18. Our Master Coaches are highly specialized coaches with extensive background in the sport as well as over 200 hours of Master Coach Training.
A Competitive Practice System is used to maximize the number of touches on the ball as well as placing another team on the court to prepare for the “Component Aspect of Coaching.”
Your child will receive correct fundamental training with an emphasis on the technical aspects of each individual skill. These coaches are trained and experienced to correct technical issues and rebuild them correctly.
With our coaches, each team is assured a coach with an extensive physical and technical background who is able to prepare every athlete for the next step in their volleyball career, and our Master Coach system of training, provides 5 highly trained coaches in the gym with your child at any given practice.
Players are taught team offensive and defensive schemes to have them completely prepared for competition.
There must be a “Systematic” approach to training when training large groups of players toward the same goal and insuring that each and every player is receiving the best possible instruction for personal as well as team growth.
2) EMPHASIS ON THE COMPLETE ATHLETE BETTER PREPARING THEM FOR HIGH SCHOOL AND COLLEGIATE COMPETITION
Focus on the discipline of Volleyball – Understanding all aspects of the sport – Beginner, Intermediate or Elite. All athletes will receive the same caliber training and treated with the same respect.
Every year we make sure that our players are ready physically to perform the task we set forth on the court. We will be providing in house training in December.
The implementation of highly specialized training for each age division in volleyball with the development of the Metro Athletic Center Youth Academy for grades K-7th and Team Sting Volleyball Club Scholastic Prep Program for grades 8th & 9th and Team Sting Volleyball Club College Prep Program for grades 10th -12th.
Mandatory Sports Nutritional Workshop for all players (parents are welcome to attend) for the player to understand the nutritional demands on an athlete’s body as well as overall healthy eating.
Coaches who use the time on the court to “Teach Life Lessons”, helping the player to understand that their preparation and competition is bigger than the sport of volleyball and transfers to all aspects of life.
Coaches who are also role models – Foul language and unprofessional behavior are not tolerated within our staff.
As this club was founded as a faith based organization , we will continue to instill biblical standards in our players each and every day with prayer before and after practices and tournaments as well as the surrounding of Christian coaches.
3) Centralized Practice Location
All practices for Team Sting Teams will be at The Metro Athletic Center
1911 10th Avenue South, Birmingham, Alabama 35205
Having a centralized Birmingham location 2- 3 nights a week allows Team Sting to serve players from the Anniston/Gadsden, Tuscaloosa, Shelby County and Birmingham areas. This Centralized Home Practice Facility allows Team Sting to be established as a “COLLEGE PREP PROGRAM” with the 2.5 - 3 hour practice plans.
4) “Sting Sand Elite”
Beginning our 3rd Season as one of the Southern Region’s Premier Sand Training Clubs, Sting Sand Elite will take all of our technical court fundamentals and use them to teach our players the highly skilled game of Sand volleyball. With the induction of sand volleyball to the collegiate ranks, the number of college programs adding sand volleyball to their athletic programs and the numbers of full scholarships increasing it is imperative that Team Sting Volleyball invest the time and money into training our players to be the most highly skilled sand players that they can be.
Practices will be held at the MAC
Practices will be held 3x’s a week beginning in April for those players through with their court seasons and 2x’s a week for those players still training for Nationals.
Cost will be announced on website beginning in January.
Uniforms and warm ups will be included in the costs
Coaches will be on hand at all tournaments to insure proper instruction in between matches and continue the training process while competing.
5) The Metro Athletic Center and Team Sting Volleyball Club Introduce: The Youth Academy, Scholastic Prep and College Prep Programs:
Youth Academy –The Team Sting Youth Academy has 3 levels ranging from
· Level 1- Volley-Tots (Coed Grades K-2) - Hand-eye Training, Motor Skill Development, One player-One Ball Training, and learning “over then net” drills and games
· Level 2-Mini Volleyball – Physical Development, Ball Movement Training, Underhand Skill Training Emphasis, Overhand Fundamentals, 3 Contact Same Side Emphasis, and 4 vs. 4 Small Court Play
· Level 3– Youth Development (Grades 6-7)– Attack Footwork, Defensive Pursuit Training, Introduce Floor Skills, Training Overhand Skills, Emphasize Speed-Quickness Development and Introduce 6 vs 6 play with basic tactics. 12’s and 13’s Club Teams.
Scholastic Prep – (Grades 8-9) - The next step in the Team Sting Training Process
Begin position specialization, increased level of competition, Identify Setters and Libero’s for long term training, Progressive training for attack and block technique. Prepare for College Prep.
College Prep – (Grades 10-12) – The last 3 years in the Team Sting Training Program
To be evaluated from both a physical and skill perspective to play at the collegiate level.
6) JVA Southern Power League –
As with many of the “hotbeds” of volleyball around the country; Great Lakes Power League, Kiva Power League, Tour of Texas Power League and Southern California Power League, Team Sting Volleyball Club and Memphis Metro have been asked by the JVA to initiate the Southern Power League. We will enter into our 2nd year with 9 clubs participating from Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee. Power Leagues allow for clubs to be in control of the level of competition that they are playing as well as keeping cost down with Power League charges being decided on by club directors and not regional directors.
· Matched Competition– Structured to provide a high level of competition
· Core Tournament Schedule– Builds a solid core of events in which to build a schedule
· Predictability– Knowing exactly when you play with no sitting around waiting for playoffs
· Cost efficiency– We will run “Full Day Competition Dates”, where players are simulating the last day of nationals with the same stress, intensity and conditioning. For 2014, the Southern Power League will host our Elite level teams from all age divisions with 2015 beginning the addition of all Team Sting teams.
· Club Bonding and Team Unity – Not only will our players practice together, but players will be supporting all other Team Sting teams from ages 13 and above. Allowing for more friendships and bonding of all players in the club.
7) Team 205 Youth Academy at Pelham High School
· The same Team Sting Volleyball Club Youth Academy format for families south of town
· Specialized fundamental instruction to prepare players to join Team Sting Volleyball Club Scholastic Prep Division
· 2/3 Coaches are former College Coaches
· Directed by Team Sting Volleyball Club , Youth Academy Director Meg Davis
· Lower Cost
· Less Travel
· Emphasis on the development of correct fundamentals.
TEAM STING VOLLEYBALLL CLUB 2014
*ALL TOURNAMENT DATES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE DUE TO ACCEPTANCE, TOURNAMENT CANCELLATION, & OTHER UNFORSEEN CIRCUMSTANCES
College Prep16’s - 18’s - Season Fees, Practice Hours, & tournament dates
· Cost: 1645.00 for a New Regional Player(All Costs are included)
· 5 Payment Days (Nov 19, Dec 14, Jan 17, Feb 12, Mar 13 at: 329.00 per month
· Cost 1519.00 for a Returning Regional Player(All Costs are included)
· 5 Payment Days (Nov 19, Dec 14, Jan 17, Feb 12, Mar 13 at: 304.00 per month
· Practice: 2x week, 2.5 hours.
· 25 days of Practice Training
· 62.5 hours of Practice Training
· 11 Days of Competition
· Uniforms Included
· 7 hours of Pre Season Training
· 45 Minutes/2x’s Week In Season Training
· 18.75 Hours of In Season Training
· Master Coach Directed
· 5 coaches in attendance every practice day
· 5 Installments
Regional Tournament Dates:
· February 1-2, 2014 K2 Wilderness in the Smokies Sevierville, TN
· February 22 or 23, 2014 Memphis Metro Memphis, TN
· March 1-2, 2014 NASA Big Spring Bash Huntsville, AL
· March 15, 2014 Spring Sting Birmingham, AL
· March 29-30, 2014 AAU Birmingham Birmingham, AL
· April 5, 2014 Pili Aloha Northeast, GA
· April 12-13, 2014 Southern Region Regionals Atlanta, GA
College Prep-16’s -18’s - Season Fees, Practice Hours, & tournament dates (Continued)
· Cost: 2864.00 for a New Elite Player (All Costs included as well as uniform )
· 7 Payment Days (Nov 19, Dec 14, Jan 17, Feb 12, Mar 13, April 17, May 17 at: 409.00 per month
· Cost 2688.00 for a Returning Elite Player (All Costs are Included as well as uniform)
· 7 Payment Days (Nov 19, Dec 14, Jan 17, Feb 12, Mar 13, April 17, May 17 at: 384.00 per month
· Cost 2725.75 for a Player moving from Regional to Elite (All Costs are included as well as uniform)
· 7 Payment Days (Nov 19, Dec 14, Jan 17, Feb 12, Mar 13, April 17, May 17 at: 389.39 per month
· Practice 3x week, 3.0 hrs/per day
· 56 days of Practice Training + 3 days of training for players attending Aurora training.
· 180 hours of Practice Training
· 22 days of Competition
· Uniforms Included
· 7 hours of Pre Season Training
· 38.6 hours of In Season Training
· Master Coach Directed
· 5 coaches in attendance every practice day
· 7 Installments
Elite Tournament Dates:
· January 18, 2014 Southern Power League #1 Birmingham, AL
· February 8, 2014 Southern Power League #2 Birmingham, AL
· February 15, 2014 Presidents Day Tournament Aurora, IL
· March 8-9, 2014 Bluegrass Pre Qualifier (Team Travel) Louisville, KY
· March 29-30, 2014 AAU Birmingham (171&181 Will not attend this tournament, instead will be training with Sports Performance Assist Director Troy Gilb) Birmingham, AL
· April 4-6, 2014 JVA World Championships Houston, TX
· April 19, 2014 Southern Power League Birmingham, AL
· May 10-11, 2014 AAU Grand Prix Atlanta, GA
· May 31-June 1, 2014 AAU New Orleans New Orleans, LA
· Early June (151,161,171,181 Team Training Trip to Great Lakes Center for 3 days of training with Sports Performance Elite Teams) Aurora, IL
· Early June (After Sports Performance Training, Team s will travel to JVA Power League Championships) Fort Wayne, IN
· June 20-24, 2014 AAU NATIONALS Orlando, FL
*If you are more than 1 week late on your payments there will be a $10.00 charge per week. Any returned checks will result in a $30.00 charge
Team Sting Recruiting Services
Team Sting Volleyball players are some of the most recruited players in the country with over 65 scholarships in 7 years of seniors. Our Recruiting Coordinator is: Chantel Reedus. Chantel played for 4 years with Sports Performance Volleyball Club and was a full scholarship volleyball player at Michigan University. Coach Reedus will be working with all players 9th-12th who have a desire to play collegiately. Evaluation of all players with video uplink will be comprised into a program for distribution to all collegiate coaches in the country.
Team Sting will host a Recruiting Seminar and there will be much more information to come.
Lakesha Shepard (205.223.1861)
Veda Johnson (205.516.7080)
Team Sting will be providing between 10-12 Fundraisers with the full supervision of Lakesha Shepard and Veda Johnson to assure these programs move smoothly. All fundraising money will go straight to the family. However, we ask that monies are used to pay your fees and travel. This program will allow a family to make all monies for cost and travel if needed.
MORE INFO TO COME AFTER PLAYER COMMITMENT!!
BACK FOR A 3rd AWESOME SEASON!!!!!
FREE GYM TIME FOR ANY TEAM STING PLAYER- EVERY EXTRA HOUR SPENT IN THE GYM EARNS YOU “1” POINT. PRIZES ARE AWARDED FOR POINT TOTALS. THIS IS A GREAT WAY FOR YOU TO SPEED UP PROGRESSION AND INCREASE SKILL LEVEL. ALL WHILE EARNING COOL PRIZES!!!!!!!!
TEAM STING VOLLEYBALL CLUB
· November 17, 2013– Pre Season Conditioning Begins
· December 2013– Team Sting Meet and Greet
· December 9, 2013 – Protocol Practices begin for Elite Teams
· December 14, 2013 – 1st Protocol Practice for Regional Teams
· November and December 2013 – 1st Fundraisers begin
· January, 2014 – Team Sting will be hosting “Freeze Fest” for 12’s and 13’s
· January 11, 2014 – Mandatory Referee and Scoring Clinic – All Teams
· Winter 2014 – Mandatory Nutritional Meeting
· December 2013- Charity Drive
· Ongoing– Recruiting videos to be made for high school players.
· January 2014– Recruiting Workshop with Julie Dailey, Chantal Reedus, Mellissa Gilbert. ONGOING RECRUITING HELP FOR ALL ATHLETES.
· January 2014– Gym Rats Begins – Extra time every day for players to get in the gym for free and earn points for every hour training for prizes!!!!
· March 15th, 2014– Team Sting will be hosting the 7th Annual “SpringSting” Tournament at local schools.
· March 29, 2014 – Team Sting will be hosting along with Louisiana Volleyball Club the 2nd Annual AAU Birmingham Super Regional Event at the Birmingham Crossplex.
· April 2014 – Sting Sand Elite Evaluations for Spring Season!
· June 2014– Team Sting AAU Nationals
Team Sting Commitments & Alumni
Last Name First Name Graduation Year Scholarship To:
Dailey Olivia January 2015 University of Kentucky
Neisler Katie 2014 Samford University
Phillips Paige 2014 Tennessee State University
Taylor Rachel 2014 Kennesaw State University
Aiken M.J. 2013 Jacksonville State University
Hoven Avery 2013 Mercer University
Shaw Symone 2013 Troy University
Moorer Deja 2013 Union University
Blanchard Shannon 2013 Faulkner State CC
Taylor Lynlee 2013 Wallace State CC
Huguley Hannah 2013 Union University
Williams Cashe 2013 Faulkner State CC
McCord Alicia 2013 Faulkner State CC
Davis Peyton 2013 Snead State CC
Roethler Casey 2012 University of North Alabama
Armstrong Nicole 2012 University of Mobile
Beford Lauren 2012 Birmingham Southern
Deal Alexis 2012 University of Alabama-Huntsville
Rivers Krystal 2012 University of Alabama
Jackson Kendra 2012 Wallace State CC
Youngs Regan 2012 Limestone College
Layton Alison 2012 Southern Union CC
Fink Grace 2012 Troy University
Holt Brandy 2012 Florida College
Graves Kelsey 2012 Faulkner State CC